Fix wall plate to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to put a pitched roof on the my extension, I am just a little unsure on the best way to fix the wall plate to these wooden supports? As fixing into the bricks is just not going to hold,

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7986.JPG
    IMG_7986.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
It most certainly is! I'm showing you where the wall plate will attach, as you see the bricks are going to be useless to attach to, which Is why I'm asking the best way to attach to the wooden supports of the bays

Sponsored Links
I wasnt planning on, the lower bay will all be removed, I was going to remove the bricks, frame it and fill with insulation and plasterboard it

Tommyt01, good evening.

As you can possibly tell from the replies to date, the board is shall I call it skeptical as to what your intentions are? [as am I]

The image posted if enlarged and looked at closely clearly indicates that the render remaining on the brickwork is de-bonding from the bricks under the upper bay. There are two vertical timber members, and a lot of odd looking brick bond.

The black painted lintel over the ground floor window is apparently effectively shot, being wood rot attacked.

Can you please tell the board what you intentions are, With all due respect the received information is confused, do you intend to extend the ground floor? or what?

Ken.

I wasnt planning on, the lower bay will all be removed, I was going to remove the bricks, frame it and fill with insulation and plasterboard it
How do you hope to support the first floor bay if you removing the ground floor bay below?

Has this job been designed or are you making it up as you go along?

We are currently doing a rear extension all the way across the back of the house.

We are putting on a pitched roof, I knocked off the render to see what was underneath to see what there is to fix too, picture attached.

The soil pipe is in the process of been moved into the corner of the room

The house will have two steels going in to to take the window and the main wall of the house to open up into a big room.

My intentions were to use anchor bolts into the brick to hold the wall plate, but from knocking off the renedering don't think this is the best choice and would be better into the wooden uprights which hold the bay windows. I didn't think just screwing the wall plate would be enough and was wondering the best option for attaching the wall plate to the wood?

Hope that makes things a little clearer?

Not clear to me. Surely the bay under first floor level is to be removed, so how has that been designed? Or are you making this up as you go along?

Yes the lower bay is been removed, we have all structural engineer reports, planning permission and are working through building control inspections as they come

So how is the bay being supported and what do you intend replacing everything beneath the first floor bay window with assuming it's to be rendered again? A decent timber frame would appear to be adequate.

You can't load a bay with a roof load

You need to span a beam across as a sort of large trimmer

Come on now Tommy, tell us how you are going to support the first floor bay and the bay floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back