Wall plate , how to strap when you have a large garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. For my porch we are building a roof over our garage as well. The garage is door is about 2.8 meteres wide or so. So I can strap left and right of the garage door. This is too much gap per strap(I need 2m at least). how would Install a strap where the garage door is given there is only 1 course and a lintal above garage door?

Sponsored Links
mrbg07546, hi

What kind of Lintel is it?

If Concrete, how about you think about -- simply modify the length of the strap, and then bend it under the bottom surface of the lintel, cut it short of the Garage door frame and using plugs and screws fix the strap?

Ken.

Out of curiosity I have a section of the roof which is not supported by any masonary. It will be supported by upvc. I have been told upvc Windows have rods to support the roof. But how would I "strap" it.

Sponsored Links
Ok. What I noticed that the garage(which is double skin no cavity. The lintal only covers the first skin. Can I put wall plate on outside skin?

Ok. What I noticed that the garage(which is double skin no cavity. The lintal only covers the first skin. Can I put wall plate on outside skin?
Eh?

Why is there a lintel above the garage door? If it is to support an amount of masonry - why then is there support for only one leaf? What's supporting the 'other' leaf?

The wall plate can go on the outer leaf, yes. However, this does make it trickier to strap down. How will this outer leaf wall plate position tally-up with the rest of the proposed roof?

Last edited:
Sorry after further investigation it was just the garage door wooden frame. We resolve this issue by installing a iron angle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back