Wall plate

If the BCO isn't sure if he'll accept using gallows brackets, then I suspect he'll quibble with you notching the rafters wall plate.

Gallows brackets bedded into the wall with resined bolts, and then a 3mm steel plate on top is a standard method of supporting a chimney stack that's been removed, so why doesn't the BCO think he'll accept it. I'd chat with someone else in his department, and ask for a review of his decision.

Looking at you're plans, does the chimney start off at 800mm and then move over, or was it 1030mm all the way down, and the left hand part of it is being removed, hence what appears to be trimmer supports being used.

Sponsored Links
I spoke to building control 3 times as they were quite vague and eventually I spoke with the person in charge. He said that gallows aren't ideal due to not knowing the strength of mortar used in the original build. I have taken further opinions from a party wall surveyor and a structural engineer who both advised this was the better way to go

I have the rsj here now, so this is the way I'm having to do it. However I don't want to drop the steel below the plate as we have wardrobes going in, and as I understand it building control don't like steels sat on wood. So what else can I do but cut it?

Thank you for the SE's report.
Its late in the day and you've incurred some costs but, given what the SE's report shows, there's no obstacle to using Gallow's Brackets in the loft above the ceiling.

Presuming that you are in the County Bridgend area, I cant find any BCO's guidance notes for what they require.
Most councils will allow brackets or lintels, although they often prefer lintels.
But for what you have you could argue your case for brackets.
I say the above because what you are proposing might look odd, and you dont want your home to look odd when, with a little trouble & further expense, the work can be concealed.

Whatever you do, retain all the paperwork for house sales time.

Hi

I'm actually in wiltshire, I used that se as he is the one the steel supplier uses. The steel supplier is a friend of mine.

I'm really out of time now, wardrobes are being delivered on tuesday and installation starts Friday. So before then I need it finished. If I cut the plate as I described I'll only need to lower the ceiling by 30mm which will be within the wardrobe anyway so happy with that.

Shall I cut it and if they're not happy explain that they advised strongly against the easier option?

Sponsored Links
Fair enough.
I wouldn't advise ref cutting a wall plate unless I'd had a site visit but in the scheme of things its possible that it will pass with conditions for adding wall plate straps or similar.

It's in.

Any thoughts appreciated.

1465145103335354935601.jpg
1465145103335354935601.jpg
14651451682781713395283.jpg

The finished product looks good but to be honest, but it sounds like your BCO has really screwed you around. They generally only say that an RSJ arrangement should be used if lime mortar has been used to bind the bricks together. With your house it looks like a standard sand and cement mix has been used and so a gallows bracket approach would have been more than good enough.

It would also have been a lot cheaper and quicker for you too.....

Such is life.

I will be resting peacefully under said chimney stack knowing there's a great chunk of steel holding it up. :D

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back