Wall plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, which wall plugs should I use for these screws? I'm thinking to use the red ones.
20200921_133432.jpg

Sponsored Links
Red definitely. If possible use a 5.5mm drill. Make sure the plug is well into the wall - head at least half the thickness of the plaster(board) into the wall.

I don't have 5.5. Should I first use 4mm, then use 5mm? Or should I just use 5mm? Also what do you mean by head at least half the thickness?

Sponsored Links
Usually red = 5.5mm, brown = 7mm. Less 0.5mm if the wall is softish or crumbly. Too large and the plug will spin in the hole

Last edited by a moderator:
I have put the shelf on and the screws went in the wall plug. Its all good. Thank you all for the help.

I don't have 5.5. Should I first use 4mm, then use 5mm? Or should I just use 5mm?

Well have drilled the wall. I suggested 5.5mm drill as the plug will fit into the hole tightly. With a 4.5mm screw you get a more secure fix with the plug in the fractionally smaller hole.

Also what do you mean by head at least half the thickness?
The head (top) of the plug needs to be under the surface of the plaster finish by at least half the thickness of the plaster(board) - that stops the plaster from cracking, makes for a more secure fixing as the plug and screw are in more brickwork and makes covering up when the screw is removed in the future easier to hide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back