Wall removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to remove an internal wall in my living room, which has had an archway cut into it at an earlier date to enable access between living and dining room.

I am 95% sure that the wall is non load bearing but just need some re-assuring advice before i begin work.

Am i correct in assuming the wall is non load bearing as the wall runs in the same direction as the joists and it would appear the wall has been bricked up to the ceiling after the plasterboard has been put up??

The 5% of doubt comes from the fact that the first course of bricks sit flush with the ground level. Would this just have been done as a guide for where the wall needed to be when the house was first built (1950s) or is this a sign that it could go deeper down to foundation level?

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Regards
Ant

Sponsored Links
Does this wall continue up to the first floor ceiling or does it stop at the ground floor ceiling?

The wall stops at the ground floor ceiling. There is a wall above it but that is built on top of the floorboards. Floorboards are continous through 2 upstairs bedrooms. The walls are not connected in any way.

Sponsored Links
There might be hidden connections/support between the upper and lower wall. There might also be some kind of lintol just above the arch. Why not call in a local builder to give an opinion? You could open up at the wall ceiling junction or lift a couple of boards to help the builder see whats there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back