Removing non load bearing wall from bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I am currently removing a non load bearing wall between my kitchen and dining room in my 1970's bungalow.

When talking to my building insurance company about a separate issue they asked if any building work planned. I mentioned removing this non load bearing wall and they wanted me to talk to a building technical team 30 days before any work. I already removed it!

I said I would call back tomorrow.

Can anyone advise if I will face any issues? I assumed for relatively minor work like this it would not need to be declared?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you've already declared it and they probably recorded the conversation, so you'll avoid potential difficulties by disclosing it. Be prepared for any questions because non structural walls sometimes have a structural function.

In my case an apparently non load bearing wall was supporting a strut in the roof space

Non disclosure of relevant information can invalidate insurance.

Blup

If it's not a load-bearing wall, and a bungalow, unlikely there will be any structural issues.
There are other aspects of Building Regulations which might be impacted, such as means of escape.

Sponsored Links
The reason insurers ask about building work is that it could potentially affect the risk and thus the premium. Normally this is only asked when quoting for a new policy, although some terms state that existing customers should notify significant works during the life of the policy.

If you have already done the work, then that's fine and the insurers wont need to be told. But check that now the room layouts are different (open plan) then the insurer may be interested in that.

Obviously you will need to comply with any building regulations or other legislation, but that is a separate issue - although compliance is a normal requirement of your insurance policy regarless of whether you notify the insurers or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back