Wall slightly bigger than plasterboard, how to fill gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im going to batten out my external wall and fit Kingspan K18 to insulate the external wall. However the wall is 3.7m long by 2.5 high. 10cm bigger than a 2.4x1.2 board vertical or two boards horizontal across the battens.

Now the manufactuerers recommend leaving a small gap at the bottom of the board when fitting, but a 10cm gap is a bit excessive, so I am probably going to have to cut some small strips about 8cm tall and fill in the shortfall, but im not sure if there is a good practice or best place to do this. I presume I board the wall with the panels horizontal, so do i stick the 8cm tall bit at the top of the two boards, at the bottom or in the middle or once its plastered does it really not make much difference?

silly question i know, but if im gonna do it, I want to do it right :D

thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Generally leave about 15mm between floor level and plasterboard.
If you are fitting skirting boards, then I would fit the 85mm cut a bottom of wall, then if fit 100mm plus skirting, that joint will be hidden.

Personally I'd consider filling the bottom with a bit of 2by1. Makes it easy to screw skirting into plus gives a straight bottom edge to work to.

Personally I'd consider filling the bottom with a bit of 2by1. Makes it easy to screw skirting into plus gives a straight bottom edge to work to.
2"x 1" wouldn't be suitable as board depth and plaster will not give you level finish and a lip would be formed by the timber. If a baseplate and well spaced battens have been installed, there will be plenty of secure fixing points for skirting, then there is always a bit of no-nails.

Sponsored Links
2"x 1" wouldn't be suitable as board depth and plaster will not give you level finish and a lip would be formed by the timber. If a baseplate and well spaced battens have been installed, there will be plenty of secure fixing points for skirting, then there is always a bit of no-nails.
okey dokey ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back