wall sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i would like to know this.I have a single wall socket with a blank next to it.I want to change the single to a double but I have noticed that there are 2 live wires,2 neutral wires and 2 earth wires connected to the back of the single socket but there is also another earth wire but connected next to the other 2 earth wires.Were would i connect this other earth wire,would it be to the 2nd earth on the new double socket.
Please Help.

Sponsored Links
Your post seems a bit unclear regarding where the third earth is connected.

If the back box is metal then there should be a earth wire link between the socket front and the metal box, that may be the third wire you mention, alternatively the third wire could be some sort of supplementary bonding wire going elsewhere

Yes it is a metal casing.The single earth wire is connected to the to the screw in next to were you screw the other 2 earths.The 2 live are intwined together and put into the live screw in L.The 2 neutral are also done the same way,as is the 2 earths but there is a single earth on its own coming from within the house that goes into the screw in next to were the earths are(its marked as earth) next to the normal earth marking of the single socket back.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back