Wall thermostat or TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed the normal valves on my 11 radiators to TRVs, I have left normal valves on the towel rail in the bathroom as have not got a by pass valve fitted.
My question is I have set the TRVs to the temperature we require for each room but what do I do with the wall thermostat in the hallway.
Do I turn the wall thermostat up higher so the radiator temperature is governed by the TRVs?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes I have, just wondered what would take priority, the TRV turning the radiator on/off or the wall stat?
If I set the wall stat up high would the house radiators be governed by the TRVs?
I have taken the TRV head off the radiator in the hall at the moment awaiting further posts

Op, the hall thermostat is there to "tell" the boiler to turn off when a prescribed area (in your case the hall) gets up to temperature, regardless of what's going on in other rooms. Without it, the boiler will continue to run even though it doesn't have to for a while, and thus waste energy.

Although not correct practice, leaving the TRV in the hallway on maximum setting will have more or less the same affect as having fitted a simple lockshield on either side. I have the same setup in my hallway, as the original controls did not incorporate any roomstat at all. I've since added one, but have no real desire to drain down the system and replace a valve that works perfectly well as-is.

another pen pusher's idea room stat turns the house off coz the hall rad has no trv rip the room stat out or turn up on full

another pen pusher's idea room stat turns the house off coz the hall rad has no trv rip the room stat out or turn up on full

Why would you want to rip out something that's saving you money by running the system more efficiently? There is no point having the boiler going when the house is up to temperature.

Why would you want to rip out something that's saving you money by running the system more efficiently? There is no point having the boiler going when the house is up to temperature.

the house is not up to temperature just the room with no trv and a room stat

I think the clue here is in his name.........

You don't seem to understand the actual purpose of a roomstat.

been corgi and gas safe for 30 years so please do not treat me like a idiot i know what a room stat does and i my opinion its a waste of time with a radiator with no trv
bedrooms and other rooms can be cold but will have no heating coz the one room with only the room stat is warm shuts off
everything stop reading the manuals and get some common sence

I think the clue here is in his name.........
and so is yours corgi is so out of date

been corgi and gas safe for 30 years so please do not treat me like a idiot i know what a room stat does and i my opinion its a waste of time with a radiator with no trv
bedrooms and other rooms can be cold but will have no heating coz the one room with only the room stat is warm shuts off
everything stop reading the manuals and get some common sence
Your initial reply suggested a lack of comprehension, not an opinion based on personal experience. Like you, I have a range of beliefs based on my own experiences; doesn't make me right though :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back