Wall Thickness of 30mm approx Steel Mains Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how thick the wall of 30mm (approx) steel water pipe is? The house was built in the early 1950s.

Thank you.

James

Sponsored Links
1. If the house was built in the 1950's the pipe will be imperial, not metric.
2. Assuming it is, it is most likely to be 3/4" pipe. If it outside (e.g. mains feed from road) it will probably be medium or heavy (most likely medium).
3. 3/4" medium pipe has an outside diameter of 27.2 mm and a wall thickness of 2.6 mm.
4. 3/4" heavy pipe has an outside diameter of 27.2 mm (same as medium) and a wall thickness of 3.2 mm
5. The 3/4" refers to the internal bore of the pipe. Its not necessarily exactly 3/4"

Thank you, Oldbuffer.

That is helpful and a relief to hear. I nicked the pipe with a screw. I have put a dimple in it and was unsure whether I might have weakened it. The dimple is very shallow and I cannot see it having done so.

James.

I should have added that the pipe is under the floorboards in the bathroom and is the rising main coming up from the stop cock in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's steel?
Denting a galve water pipe with a modem screw sounds unlikely.
Try scratching pipe with sharp knife
Clear picture would be useful.

Are you sure it's steel?
Denting a galve water pipe with a modem screw sounds unlikely.
Try scratching pipe with sharp knife
Clear picture would be useful.
It is definitely metal, but it is not galvanised. It is black.

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_175030.jpg
    IMG_20230413_175030.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 42
Odd! steel tube for cold water should be galvanised plus I doubt you could dent it so much with a screw
Pic of said screwed joint?

Last edited:
The joints.

The front of some of these houses is made from rendered wire mesh with just a plasterboard inner wall with no insulation at all, so odd is pretty common in the property.

Attachments

• 16814620260801627232142020111038.jpg
    16814620260801627232142020111038.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back