Wall Ties and older building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry to bring this 'done to death' subject again.

So, I had a survey done, Wall Tie failure was mentioned due to a 'bowing wall'. The bow was fixed. The top 7 courses on the gable end had no wall ties. They were removed and wall ties fixed.

I have since had a second survey for the walls carried out.

The wall ties are all fine, there just doesn't seem to be as many as they expect.

I know the standard spacing is 900mm x 450mm for my cavities (and closer for doors/windows etc).

But, my question is, this property was build in approx 1963. I'm trying to ascertain if they were deemed acceptable for the period, or if the builder was just having a "Friday Afternoon".

I'm not particularly worried, as I know the fix is simple enough, just want to get an idea f what happened and when.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cannot comment on Building Regs of the time but just had a quick look in one of my books from 1963 and it quotes 1'6" vertical and 3' horizontal so near as damn it 450x900mm.

Hi all,

The wall ties are all fine, there just doesn't seem to be as many as they expect.

I know the standard spacing is 900mm x 450mm for my cavities (and closer for doors/windows etc).

But, my question is, this property was build in approx 1963. I'm trying to ascertain if they were deemed acceptable for the period, or if the builder was just having a "Friday Afternoon".

?
Every day was a Friday afternoon in the 60's - Not the finest decade for quality in building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back