Wall Undercoat question

T05

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just read that for any surface not painted in the past 5 years, a 'Primer' should be used. *Sigh* If so, should i use this as well as the undercoat that i planned, or does one substitute the other?

Also, i have some 'Brilliant white Rich Matt' from a few years back. Can i use this as an undercoat or should i go with the 'dulux undercoat'? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The general statement that any surface not painted for five years must be primed..or a primer coat used is basically rubish..never heard of it.

But...there are many surfaces that require painting...and many different scenarios

A wall painted with gloss would need an undercoat before a topcoat is applied

A bare wall or wooden surface would need a primer first.....

A wall painted with emulsion wouldnt need a primer coat..

So many different situations, and paints.

As for the B/W rich matt.....use as an undercoat for what?......woodwork no...a gloss painted wall..no....an emulsion painted wall...yes.

If you can be a bit more specific about the paints and surfaces I could help you a little more.

One thing though..old emulsion can go off and smell like a duck pond... :mad:

Thanks for the reply. As for the type of paint i will use.....I'm not too sure. :oops: I'm after a washable, slighty sheen type effect for a bedroom wall. What would that fall under, Satin/silk? I take it i can also paint the cleiling in rich matt? Thanks

Go for 'soft sheen'...sometimes known as 'mid sheen' emulsion.

Or you can knock your own up using 1/2+1/2 matt and silk.

Shouldnt be a problem using the matt on the ceiling...but again....it depends on whats on there already...if its silk or water based you'l be ok...but you never what what you'l find check it first.

One of the worst situations I found with paint was someone using a course masonry paint as an undercoat before glossing..nightmare! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Well someone got hasty and bought Pure billiant white Silk emulsion for the undercoat. I'm guessing it will be fine to paint a 'soft sheen' over this, or shall i mix it up with the rich matt? Thanks.

T05 said:
Well someone got hasty and bought Pure billiant white Silk emulsion for the undercoat. I'm guessing it will be fine to paint a 'soft sheen' over this, or shall i mix it up with the rich matt? Thanks.

It wont hurt to mix it with the matt...but do it a bit of each at a time stirring constantly.

Thanks, one last thing. :)

I lightly swipe the paintbrush around the corners & edges, then paint the main walls only to find it needs another coat to match up with the 'darker' edges, or visa versa - leaving me to darken the corners with a brush, resulting in a sloppy mess.

I don't think i had this problem with matt. How can i avoid this, are there any tools out there? Thanks.

Im not sure I know what you mean im affriad...when the paint goes on it always dries lighter or darker deepending on the type and colour.

Are you sure it not the colour underneath showing through?..silk doesnt cover very well..certainly not as good as matt.

Other reason maybe.....it was mixed well enough in the tin?...you have poured some into a tray.......leaving the remainder in the tin?.....it could possibly be slightly different??...long shot.

One thing to bear in mind though.......if you ever buy the stuff that they mix in the shops....always pour it into a bigger pot and stir it well.....if you buy two tins....always mix them together before you start.....the variation in colour can be quite substantial sometimes.

Oh another idea.....silk reflects the light wuite a lot more than matt....the bits you brush tend to end up smoother than the bits yo roll....because the light is scattered differently, thus sometimes causing a lighter/darker effect.....always roll as close to the edges of objects and ceiling and skirting lines as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back