Really basic question about undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started decorating my new (20 year old) house. Having stripped the wallpaper the walls were a bit of a state with a mix of old paint and exposed areas of plaster. So far I have washed the walls down with sugar soap, rinsed then sanded down and sealed with dulux primer sealer.

The plan is to paint the walls with yellow dulux endurance matt but before that I need to undercoat the walls to hide the colour contrasts (I have tried a test area without already and it showed through).

Do I need to use a proper undercoat and if so what, as so far I have only seen ones that describe themselves as for gloss? Would simply using white matt emulsion as an undercoat be sufficient and as I am a newbie if not why not ;)?

Sponsored Links
Yes matt emulsion or if in doubt and want to really seal well use an acrylic primer, shop around and you can get some quite cheap. The acrylic will seal and even the finish and ensure all is well sealed. Emulsion can be a bit weak to seal but to be w=quitw honest should be enough. If you are using endurance or Diamond Matt (Trade version) just use that and have 3 coats applies as it has its own acrylic in the product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back