Wallets boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have just moved into a new house which has an oil fired boiler. We have no instructions but I believe it is a wallstar 15 19 heating just the radiators. Our water tank has an immersion heater.

I tried to fire it up yesterday but it didn't light. Using the override button I started the boiler. The room thermostat was set at a high temperature. The orange light comes on the boiler and I can hear the boiler working for about 3 seconds then it stops making any noise. The water pump continues to pump water around the radiator circuit. If I turn the temperature setting on the boiler down then up I can trigger the same 3 second pump sound from the boiler. The red light never comes on which I believe would indicate a boiler lock out?

Without any instructions (I only seem to be able to find installation instructions) am I missing something simple or does it appear the old owner wasn`t being honest with the state of the boiler and it has got a fault?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Sponsored Links
If the immersion heater is on, the pump may be drawing sufficiently hot water through to satisfy the boiler thermostat. Is the boiler hot?
If not, then you need to follow the fault finding chart through, ensuring the external circuitry is providing continuous power first.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.

That manual seems to be for a combi and has different controls to the one we have. Ours just has one dial with an amber and a red light. A reset button hidden under the cover just to the left of the red light. I suspect it is quite old given the spiders that seem to have made their home in it and the mess on the top of the cover!

Ours doesn't supply water heating so I don't think the problem can be linked to the hot water tank.

I took the front off this evening and checked the reset button wasn't raised and it wasn't.

I am guessing I will need to remove the outside panel to see the burner? I will assume that the panel is fixed the same way as mentioned in the manual in newboy's post so I will get back to you with a picture if I can do it in the dark ok.

Well that was easier then expected given I was doing it by phone screen light.

The boiler is a 12/15.

I have attached a photo of the inside. The oil supply pipe appears to be full with no air locks.

Attachments

• phpFITabTAM.jpg
    phpFITabTAM.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128
With the actual number I have been able to now find a manual.

With the outside cover off (and it being very dark) i could see the red reset light/button on the control box was flashing at the end of the 3 second attempt. When I pressed this the boiler did manage to light successfully. It is to warm to run it tonight so I switched it off after a few minutes. Is there any reason to think I might have trouble or is this normal when the boiler hasn't worked since the end if the last winter so had been dormant for many months?

I will get it serviced as soon as I can anyway but it is a relief to see if the up albeit briefly.

You have a bentone sterling burner not bad jobs easy to service.Once it's been serviced and set up,it should be alright. I like wallstars they are in my top ten of good boilers. Good luck keep warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back