Wallpaper edges curling up whilst pasting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Wonder if anybody could help me out - I'm wallpapering a bedroom with some Colefax and Fowler paper and as soon as the paste reaches the edges they start to curl towards the surface. As it's soaking I've tried leaving them, repasting them and pushing them together but nothing seems to want to make them relax. This is making butting the seams on the walls almost impossible as even when pushed down with the brush they don't flatten down. It's only when wiping the sheet down with a sponge they start to sit, but not fully until dry. I've tried Solvite paste and the ICI stuff from the dulux trade centre mixed at both recommended amounts and a bit thicker with no joy. :cry:

I've never had this problem before, is there something I'm missing?

Oh and the walls are lined and sized.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You could try some ready mixed adhesive. Muxh stronger than traditional paste. You can mix ready mixed in with solvite to give it a bit more strength. when you fold the paper, top and tail fold it again alomost into a roll,this will help when it is soaking. loosely. Use a seam roller aswell whe the joints are butted up against each other to help them stay down. If the pattern is not raised you can apply a little more presure to get it to stay down.

Cheers for the reply, Robbie. :D

Will give the ready mix a bash with a seam roller. Had been a bit nervous of rollering it as to not squeeze out the paste but we'll see what happens with the tubbed stuff.

Tbh I'd always assumed that ready mix paste was just for people who couldn't be bothered mixing their own!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Certain paper manafacturers recomend that you use ready mixed adhesive. they can be used for heavy weight papers as well a light weights. They generally have a bit more sticking power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back