Wallpapering a patched plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello people im derek from birmingham and this is my first venture into wallpapering..
I live in a 50’s x council house and im in the process of steam stripping a bedroom wall with the view of repapering..
From the photo would it be a good idea to cross under paper first before i put the main wallpaper on,ill be patching and sanding the damaged areas first..
Thanks for any input..

Attachments

• 277ECDF7-CFE0-4691-B35C-52CF683CBCCA.jpeg
    277ECDF7-CFE0-4691-B35C-52CF683CBCCA.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 269
  • B78F254A-3BFD-421E-9EC1-D529C4CE583C.jpeg
    B78F254A-3BFD-421E-9EC1-D529C4CE583C.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 254
  • C23A3449-197C-4D97-BCD6-6C8BA4A4261D.jpeg
    C23A3449-197C-4D97-BCD6-6C8BA4A4261D.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
I'd recommend lining paper first unless the wall paper is going to be very thick.

In theory one should cross line (ie apply the lining paper horizontally) but I find it faster to apply the lining paper vertically. Lining paper is normally 560mm wide and most (but not all) wallpapers are 540mm wide. I just make sure that none of the wallpaper joins will be near a lining paper join.

Cross lining is said to have the added advantage of equalising surface tension as the glue dries but I don't know how true that is.

Ok thanks is it true a couple off mm has to be left between each sheet of lining paper,i saw it on a youtube video..

Last edited:
Most of the lining paper that I hang is to be painted over- I want no visible gap. If I am lining with a view to papering later- I wan't no visible gap.

The two mm gap is based on the assumption that the glue for the new paper will cause the lining paper glue to expand and bubble the lining paper.

If you use a "vinyl smoother" to remove any air bubbles in the lining paper you should not get any bubbles in the future (be they from painting or over papering).

A few recommendations-

• use a medium to short pile roller to apply the paste to the lining paper (it will help you get even coverage and result in less glue squirting out of the edges when you use the vinyl smoother). Buy a paint scuttle to hold the past and roller.
  • Apply the same paste to the walls and lining paper at the same time to ensure that you have no dry spots.
  • Use a cheap powder glue for the lining paper and then use a premixed glue for the wallpaper.
  • Purchase a 9mm snap off blade knife and a very wide filler knife for trimming the paper. Snap off the blade as it begins to become blunt. The wide flat filling knife will hold the paper taught as you run the knife along it, you should not have any tearing as you trim it.
  • Use a brush to apply the paste to the walls at the edges.

Just ask if you want more advice.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Thanks opps great advice..
So ive been looking at b&q website..if i bought 1400 liner paper and laid it vertically..i could just paint that how i wish and that liner paper takes the paint ok..
And thanks for the help..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back