Wallpapering gone wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My hubby has spent the best part of a day wallpapering one wall in our bedroom. The problem is that all the edges are messy because the wallpaper was left to dry before trimming the edges! We were thinking of getting a really thin border to go round the edges but would love some advice before doing this. It basically needs a tidy up around the walls, skirts and ceiling where the wallpaper has torn ever so slightly, left gaps. We don't want to start again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Best advice would be to put it down to experience, get some more paper, and start again.

What is the rest of the wall like - are the joins between the lengths of wallpaper good? If not it would be a good reason to start again.

Personally I prefer to trim wallpaper before it dries with wallpaper scissors rather than a knife. You can make a slight fold with the blunt edge of the scissors, or sometimes a pencil (not a pen), then cut with the scissors along the line.

If you really think a border will solve everything, use border adhesive, not wallpaper paste. If patterned get the pattern to line up top and bottom. Check for ripples.

If you do it again, first try steaming the edges to soften them up and try and stick them down. If it doesn't work just steam off the paper and hang it again. Using a border will look daft, it might be a pain to do it again but you'll be glad you did it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think we're going to re-do some of the wallpapering but not all of it. We'll definitely know for next time...if there ever is a next time. Think paint might be safer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back