How to paint over wallpaper and borders with no marks showin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to paint the bedroom but our walls are so bad that I want to just paint over the wallpaper. The only problem is, we have a border as well so the edges of it will show through the paint. After suggesting to hubby that maybe we could just take off the border, he tells me that the wallpaper underneath the border may not be matched up properly so that would also leave edge marks - - - any ideas????

Nicky

Sponsored Links
It you really must paint over the paper (remember it probably wasnt designed for that) then give the area around the border a roll over first with undercoat, overlapping it by about 5/6 inches...then carefully fill along the edge of the border...at a right angle to it ie run the filling knife along the length of the border..you may need to do this a couple of times..sand lightly then coat the walls as normal

Coating it before you fill will help stop the paper lifting when you apply the filler

papergirl said:
Nice tip Zampa!

I'll keep that one in mind for myself! ;)

Na na na ...you a seasoned pro dekkie now...we dont do that sort of thing..(well..not unless the price is right)

Sponsored Links
Cos Nickynoo, is a seasoned amuteur..I wouldnt even consider painting over a finished paper as a rule..but I dont mind suggesting ways around it if its the only option.

Cos im like that ;)

Yep..Its always risky IMO and if it doesnt work out then you have not only wasted the paint and your time but also..the paper will be twice as hard to remove once its painted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back