Painting or not over borders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to paint over the existing wallpaper in my bedroom, however, we have a border which I think will show even if we paint it over. Is there an easy way to either 1) remove it gently without affecting the rest of the wallpaper or 2) will it look OK if simply painted over?

Any other solutions without removing the entire wallpaper?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Deepends on your own standards and budget really....but i'd say.....no and no...

Most border is stuck on with special adhesive and is a pig to get of..

Painting over paper is genreally bad practice, it can cause to paper to lift and/or bubble up, it there are any bad joints it will highlight them too.

Rough cutting will stand out like a sore thumb.

Plus theres always the chance of the paint not taking...the dye in the paint bleeding through...or flaking after a short time.

You could be throwing your good money away.

....I dont like spending my own money let alone other peoples .. if budget is an issue bu time isnt have you considered waiting a while and saving up to line it and then re painting it..rough guess..average room the lining paper should cost no more than 20 quid...bit of filler and paster....30 quid tops..

About the same price as a tin and a half of paint.....get my drift?

We've just bought a house where the hallway has been painted over wallpaper and a border. The painted wallpaper looks bad, but the painted border is really horrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back