Wallpapering MDF cabinet with door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I built an MDF cabinet in the bathroom to hide the boiler and I now want to wallpaper it. This is the first thing I've ever papered so a bit anxious! I've read up as much as possible and I'll seal the MDF with some watered down PVA followed by a layer of paste first.

The thing I'm unsure about is that there's a panel that opens as a cupboard door half way down, and I'll need to be able to remove another panel to access the boiler. My plan was to paper the whole cabinet and when dry carefully slice around the door and panel with a knife.

Does that sound OK or should I cut individual paper pieces and stick on separately?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're going to cut round it I would do it while the paper is still wet so you can wrap the cut edges round the panel. Yes, you will see a gap but if you don't wrap it then the edges will curl over time and look crap.

The other alternative would be to do it in two pieces, as cutting through the gap may not leave sufficient paper to wrap, ensuring you have a pattern match but still wrap the edges around as above.

Thanks a lot for your advice I really appreciate it.

I have seen a few projects like this where they have papered onto things without an overlap - do you think this is doomed to fail and start peeling later on?

Sponsored Links
In a damp area like a bathroom chances are the edges will lift.
I would paper separately and overlap the edges as far as possible.

Maybe even give the edges which are out of sight a coat of varnish to seal them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back