WALLPAPERING ROUND WINDOWS!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Any technical advise of the best way to wallpaper in and around a window?

And corners for that matter....?

Andy

Sponsored Links
So many scenarios so many different types of paper Andy...

Very difficult to explain on here too......but i'll have a go..

I often try to set the wallpaper out in a room so that the cuts around a window are easier...you can start in the centre of a window for instance and work either way....left and right...towards the ends of the window frame.

This isnt always possbile and you have to follow the pattern around the room.

Now when it comes to the cuts, be careful...

Lets assume you have put a piece of paper in place and one edge is enough to wrap around the reveal and into the window itself...

Trim along the bottom where it touches the cill horizontallyand then make a diagonal cut toward the external angle of the reveal....then at the top.....of the window reveal you have a few choices.....you can cut along the head of the window wall..the external angle...and fold the paper into the reveal towards the window..this will leave you a piece to put in just above the window, find a matchinf piece and put it on the underside if the head...then put the flap from the whole pice over it..(remember to use overlap adhesive if its vinyl.

Or.....you can cut just above the external angle of the head of the window, fold the piece into the reveal the same as above....but this time put a bigger piece of paper over the piece that is above the window and match the pattern then cut a vertical line through the two papers downwards, ending at the point where the two external corners meet...he remove the waste and you should have a perfect joint.

Dont be tempted to cut diagonally into the outside corner...you will end up having to put two triangular bits in.

If you can understand any of this in the first place!!!

Corners...if the piece going into a corner is say, 14 inches then add an extra quarter of an inch (14 1/4) inches...

Cut the piece on the paste table and hang...the next piece will be around 6 1/2 inches wide...mark 6 1/4 incnes at the top of the wall and draw a line down, if the wall in straight this should allow 1/4 waste....apply the paper and trim off the waste with a sharp knife or a pair of scissors

If its a vinyl you will have to use overlap adhesive or cut both pieces tight into the corner.

If its a blown vinyl or a thick paper you will have to trim both edges.

If the corner is out then allow for this and mark the line nearer the closest edge of the corner.

The least amount of waster you have, the more chance you have of keeping a pattern running around the corner

NEVER NEVER ATTEMPT TO TAKE A PAPER AROUND A CORNER!!!...its one of the biggest no no's in decorating....always cut into a corner....always.

Sorry for the long winded answer.....not an easy thing to explain.

And that was the 'quick' answer!!!!

Thanks I'll try all of the above... i did forget to mention that it's only lining paper but I still want a neat job done... it's the perfectionist in me!!

Sponsored Links
As its only lining paper then...when you go into a corner, mark a line down the first piece going into the corner and cut no more than a couple of mm into the waste bit...when you do the next piece going into that corner mark it, but this time cut tight to the line...

Hey presto...a perfect corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back