walls not plumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am about to start tiling my bathroom and i have realised that the walls are not plumb i cannot get them skimmed as the units bath etc have already been fitted, they arent miles out but can any one give me tips on how to tile it correctly please
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Hi Billoz,
I think it's a bit late to realise that your walls are not plumb,now that you are ready for tiling.If, as you say they are not miles out,then the finished job might not look too bad.You can only work with what you have.The tiles will have to be put on plumb and horizontal,so anything that is off will show.When you plan your tiling,try to work it out so that anything that is off, is in a part of the room that wont catch your eye.If a wall is just a bit off,then you can put the tiles on, and bed them out a bit towards the corners as you tile up the wall,so as to make it look more pleasing to the eye.No room is ever perfectly square,but if you know in advance that the walls are off,then you can plan to make it as un-noticeable as possible.

Regards:Roughcaster.

thanks roughcaster,
any tips on how to make sure they go on plumb, spirit level, plumbline, set square ????

Sponsored Links
Hi again Billozz,
To put tiles on plumb,you would have to set this all out in your planning.Using all of the tools you mentioned,plus nowadays,lasers that give you guaranteed 90 degrees to set your walls off.Once you have decided where you are going to start your tiling,and you have your plumb datum lines marked on the walls,just stick to your lines.On each wall,I like to have 2 or 3 datum lines,sometimes even more, along the length of the wall, so you are always working towards a new plumb line and you can correct any deviation if any as you go.Just remember as you go,not to cover your datum up with tile adhesive.Good luck.

Regards:Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back