Walls that aren't at right angles - irregular shape garage

UKG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate any advice. I've recently purchased a property and it has an irregular shaped garden. I'm planning on self building a double garage out building.

Can anyone offer advice on teh difficulty and cost of building walls that aren't at right angles and the ramifications for building the roof?

Here is a link to the plot and suggested shape of the building.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133744437@N03/

Any advice is HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you
UKG

Sponsored Links
can you put a square builiding in there.It will be irregular inside but nice and square on the outside.Do not follow the shape of the garden but hide the corners with shrubs.Hope this helps.My garden is same shape.

There will be little cost difference, especially if you are DIYing, some odd cuts to the masonry etc. All assuming you can utilise the odd angle inside. Anything other than a flat roof will give you headaches.

Agree with Freddie other than the odd shaped masonry angles will look pants and be a water gathering problem regards frost etc, unless done with care.

You may curse those odd angles one day especially the internal corners.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Cancer Beat. I'm not fully understanding what you're suggesting. Can you provide a picture / diagram? Leaving it square?

So from what you're saying the masonary angles shouldn't be too difficult / expensive but the roofing would be tricky? I'm thinking something as in picture 1 -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133744437@N03/

The battons on the roof would need to travel sideways along the trusses not sitting evenly on them. Is there anyone with experience of roofing here that can offer advice?

The roof needs to be pitched not flat.

The internal angles I can handle. In fatc they're a preference for better sound quality within the property. Recording drums.

Again any help much appreciated.

UKG

If you build a trapezoidal building, the trusses have to be parallel to the ends and the battens parallel to the sides and the tiles trimmed at the ends, which might give you some very narrow tiles or get double width ones and cut them to 1.1 (or what ever) times a standard width .
Frank

It's all possible but you'll need to be fastidious with your design and planning or it will end up like a bag of spanners. Suggest you get going on sketchup at least in the first instance to consider how the roof planes/eaves/ridge lines work out. Slates would lend themselves well to this kind of roof, in the real world there are some very peculiar shaped roofs that don't phase good roofers.

Last edited:
garage.jpg

If the garden is wide enough then each "C" could be a door for a car and "p" a door for people. Avoids having to open a heavy car door when on foot.

I would also ensure you have right of access from the lane into your property before committing to the build. It is not unknown for ransom strips to be left between highway and private property when the land is divided and sold. Then when a few people are regularly and necessarily crossing the strip to get in and out of their garage the owner of the ransom strip turns up and requires the property owner to purchase a right of way across his ( or her ) land.

How about building the front square to your fence line, but with the back at an angle to follow the boundary. We extended an existing garage like this for a customer about 20 years ago (he wanted his Rolls Royce wedding car to fit in). The roof was pitched and we fitted a hip over the non-square new section. I wasn't personally on the job but I don't remember it being problematic.

Thanks all Bernard Green - I like the look at the design - plus it looks fairly straight forward to roof / build etc.

I'm now thinking about levelling the ground at the bottom of the garden -

It will involve lowering the ground at the bottom of my garden by about 3 feet (at its highest). The bottom of the garden runs parallel to the neighbours wall and foundations (which must run onto my land).

On the opposite side is a fence.

The 7m x 7m foundations will not be leaving much room either side.

Can anyone advise on what will happen if I dig up to the neighbours wall foundations - will the wall fall down? Can I leave the foundations showing? Is there a way to retain it that wont take up too much space ? ( I need to leave a run way down the side of the garage!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back