wallstar oil burner wont fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my burner is 15 years old, noticed today it wont fire up, all lights are on in relevant places, thermostat is clicking as i increase temperature, but no action, any ideas please? Thanks Booner

Sponsored Links
Is the lockout light on on the burner? Have you checked the overheat trip?

just the amber light comes on, not sure about overheat switch?, thanks for replying, wheres the overheat switch? it hasnt been on all day, might not have been on for a couple of days?

Sponsored Links
im sure you guys already know this, but its defo not the control box, ive checked that

just the amber light comes on, not sure about overheat switch?, thanks for replying, wheres the overheat switch? it hasnt been on all day, might not have been on for a couple of days?

It'll say something like "limit reset" on it. Might be under a screw-down cover

You shouldn't have any air in the pipe, it should be just oil. If you can see air then it's getting in somewhere - are you sure you have oil in your tank? Can you hear it sparking when you press the reset?

the burner housing indoors has a red light and amber light and nothing else, any diagrams i view seem to have lots more gauges and switches on, are you suggesting this reset thing is outside? i have successfully replaced photo cell and control box in the past, but this i feel is more complicated to remedy, these things seem to be a complex box of tricks, when the car goes wrong it can be identified as only a few things normally, the list seems endless with these :(

no sparking at all, there has been an element of air in the pipe since day one, was never a problem, im certain i was advised that a small amount of air was normal?

when i press reset all i hear is the blowing noise, absolutely nothing else, thanks for your continued attention :)

Thanks for all the advice on this topic, it was very helpful :-p

When you press the burner lockout button on the control box, the motor and fan should start, together with the ignition spark.
After a few seconds, the oil is switched on and it should light up.
What's happening......attempt but fail to start then lockout every time, or does it run for a few seconds and then lockout?
John :)

about a 5th of a tank in there, same firm for last 15 years, i know them, i have a man coming this evening to look at it, should get a clearer picture then after oil pressures been taken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back