Want to change Timer unit.

P

Peter171

Hello All

I have a electronic on/off timer like many people, what I would like to do is replace it with a 24 Hr mechanical timer.
Reason being that I have No room thermostat, I can only set the timer up for 3 on/off's a day.
I would like to be able to keep the boiler on for (example) 30 mins then off for 30 mins to keep a more even heat level.
Not sure if this is possible to install the type of timer I want as I have a Danfoss actuator/3 way valve system, the boiler is OIL fired.
Any advice please.
Thanks, Peter.

Sponsored Links
It is worth readng this forum for queries like this.

Although room thermostats have been out there for about a century, someone has had a better idea! Turn the boiler on and off every half an hour.

That room stat would be SO expensive, far better to waste some oil.

You couldn't make it up :rolleyes: .

Typical replys from our finest !!!!!!!!!!!! please god none of these call at your home to do any work.

Sponsored Links
Back to basics it is then.

An electronic programmer switches the boiler on and off according to the set times

A mechanical programmer switches the boiler on and off according to the set times

A thermostat switches the boiler on and off according to the temperature of the room it is fitted

By fitting a thermostat in line with your electronic or mechanical programmer you can have the boiler switch on and off according to the temperature AND the times that you set it

By fitting a programmable roomstat you can have the boiler switch on and off according to the temperature AND the times that you set it.

By fitting a wireless programmable roomstat you can have the boiler switch on according to the temperature AND the times that you set it but without a wired connection between the boiler and the roomstat.

I dont recommend that you diy this. I mean no malice here but if brainpower were measured in amps you wouldn't have enough to blow the fuse in a glow-worms backside.

You had to go and spoil it with that last comment. Looks like you won't be welcome at Peter's house either, Slugbaby?

Only oil fitters with webbed feet and pointy hats are welcome.

PS: don't accept an offer of a cup of tea.

I guess you finally managed to put a glow worm out of action to come up with that.

I'll put some fuse wire on ebay for you

I have a electronic on/off timer like many people, what I would like to do is replace it with a 24 Hr mechanical timer.
Reason being that I have No room thermostat, I can only set the timer up for 3 on/off's a day.
I would like to be able to keep the boiler on for (example) 30 mins then off for 30 mins to keep a more even heat level.
Not sure if this is possible to install the type of timer I want as I have a Danfoss actuator/3 way valve system, the boiler is OIL fired.
Any advice please.

Can you explain why you want to control your room temperature this way?

A room thermostat would do a much better job; and you would not have to keep remembering to turn the boiler on or off.

For example, you can purchase a Honeywell DT200 digital stat for about £25 which will keep your temperature constant to within about 1°C, which is more than you will be able to achieve by constantly turning the boiler on and off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back