WANT TO LAY LAMINATE FLOORING BUT STOP COCK IN LIVING ROOM!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I know another user has bought a similar problem up but it didn't really answer my questions so I'm posting myself.

I have just bought an old victorian terraced house and have bought laminate flooring to lay in my living room but after ripping up the old carpet I have noticed the stop cock is under a floorboard a foot back from the window IN THE LIVING ROOM!!! :(

I am now concerened as I don't want to cover the stop cock over with laminate as knowing my luck something will then happen and I wont be able to access it. I wondered if there is anything you can buy to solve this problem or will I have to cut out a piece of the laminate so I can get to the stop cock. If I will have to cut a small hatch out how do I go about doing this with the click style laminate?

I would be really greatful for any advice as my laminate flooring is being laid on sunday by my father in law and I really do not want carpet.

Many thanks

happyhellie :eek:)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo happyhellie and welcome :D :D :D

yes i thought i was seeing things :D :D

i just wonder if its worth having another stopcock inserted in the system
either before it enters the house or when it appears above the floor
although having said that it may branch out under the floor before popping up

I like the idea of the hatch. You will need to make it out of moisture-resistant ply (which is very strong) and it is quite difficult to do it with hinges, but you could fasten it down with brass screws and have the hatch so it lifts out. If it is in a corner it will not get walked on much.

I am not much good at woodwork :oops: but I imagine you would have to make and level the ply hatch first, then laminate over the rest of the floor and trim the edges of the hole, then glue laminate to the ply hatch. The fixing screws would have to go through after laminating.

You can get entertaining little brass lifting rings that fold flat, they are called "Chest Ring Handles".

I am sure whoever does the work will find it much more effort than just laminating over the lot.

I suppose you could hide your money down there as well, it will be a nice surprise for a future plumber.

Sponsored Links
Could you adapt a Electrical Cavity Floor Box for the access point.

UVCSM3SLASH4.JPG

Not ideal, but might work ;)

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back