Want to level off 'sloped'collar around drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, In order to create a new path to my front door, I would like to widen the current gap which exists. This surface drain sits on a raised 'collar' which is sloped on all three sides.
I know I cannot do anything about the Drain itself, but I am thinking of maybe squaring this collar up on which the drain is sitting. Yes, there is a pathway to the property already which is shared and I want to give up that. Thanks in advance any advice.

Attachments

• 20190815_175842.jpg
    20190815_175842.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
garash, good evening.

From the image posted, it appears that there is a "standard" gully with a [broken] internal plastic leaf guard , the down pipe appears to have a "square" outlet, the outlet is facing directly away from the house wall. As an aside it is the square outlet that may be preventing the replacement of the broken plastic grill on the gully???

As to why the above footpath barrier was placed there? could be to in some way "protect" the vulnerable to impact plastic down pipe??

You could consider, removing all of the above path masonry?? and leave it at that?? or??? Remove the brick work surround, above and below path level, then place a timber shutter so you can pour a fine mix of concrete into the gap between the outer lip of the gully and the existing concrete path, allow a slight slope from new concrete towards the gully.

At the same time remove the square outlet, replace the broken plastic grill on the gully, and allow the down pipe to discharge direct down on to the plastic leaf guard??

Ken.

That gully looks like it's below the surface. Normally if you get a new plastic gully head, it will just drop in. Then seal around the perimeter and extent that downpipe below the grid cover to get rid of that shoe, and cut the cover around it.

That gully looks like it's below the surface. Normally if you get a new plastic gully head, it will just drop in. Then seal around the perimeter and extent that downpipe below the grid cover to get rid of that shoe, and cut the cover around it.
Thank you woody but I have no issues with the downpipe/drain itself. I am referring to the concrete area (grey) on the ground, except it is higher where it meets all three sides of the drain (red). I want to make that piece of area around the drain as flat as the rest of the concrete, but obviously the drain will have to 'sit' on something as it is above ground level

Sponsored Links
If you take the surround away, then you really want the downpipe discharging inside the gully, not over it.

Depends how much work you want to do. If you really want to go to town, chop the surround and some of the concrete holding it out. Change the plastic hopper to a wider version, drop downpipe straight into that, and make good the concrete to suit.

Hopper.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back