Want to paint laminate/melamine table top.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a table which is either laminate or melamine surfaced with a slightly raised wood grain finish, (light oak), which we want to paint.
We used Dulux Primer for Difficult surfaces, allowed to dry, lightly sanded then applied two coats of Valspar Eggshell finish of a custom mixed colour called Pretty Poppies.

It looked good when it had dried but someone slid a bowl on the table and the paint just peeled away to reveal the original finish underneath. Have now stripped all the old paint and primer off, (by hand scraper and fine sandpaper), wiped all the dust off with a damp cloth and allowed to dry in the dining room. My wife has just applied a second primer coat which we will alow to dry overnight before top coating again in the hope it works this time.

If the same happens we are considering stripping back again, (it's a multi-leaf extending table so only done one leaf this time), lightly sanding again and then applying a watered coat of PVA glue in the hope this will help the primer to adhere. Does anyone think this might work or is it a complete non-starter?

Sponsored Links
Water based paints are not very durable.

There are 2 pack primers that will etch the finish but they are not suitable (read: safe) for DIY use.

Personally I would recommend Zinsser BIN. It is pigmented shellac suspended in an alcohol base. It is extremely tough.

It is only available in white but any decent decorator's merchant will add tint to match the colour you want- however be advised that it won't be a perfect colour match. The sheen level is very slightly more matt than eggshell.

It dries extremely fast so you will need to use a very short pile mohair mini roller, it is extremely difficult to get a decent finish with a brush. Do not use a foam mini roller- it will swell to twice its original size. And avoid the temptation to over roll it- you will end up with a stippled finish that will be difficult to sand flat.

Assuming that you don't want to use a new roller sleeve for each coat, leave the sleeve sitting in house-hold ammonia for an hour or so and rinse with water.

BIN cures in about 3 days, hat is more than twice as fast as oil based paints. It stinks of alcohol when you apply it but the smell goes as soon as it dries (about an hour).

Thanks for the reply opps. As no-one had answered I've bought a tin of Zinseer 123 and the wife is applying the first coat as I type.
Guy in Screwfix said it should do the job so hopefully it will.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back