Want to remove radiator for decorating but a new towel one being fitted in a couple of weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I live in a bungalow and have a Vaillant combi boiler.
I want to remove the existing single panel radiator to paint behind it as I am having a new towel radiator fitted in a couple of weeks.
Should I remove it using radiator clamps and refit it after decorating or just drain it and leave it off?
Will the whole system have to be drained to fit the new radiator?
Also lol the pipe centre measurement is 580mm and the radiator pipe centre measurement is 550 how can I get around the difference? Will I be able to make it fit :(
I've never done this before so I have no idea what to do for the best.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Should I remove it using radiator clamps and refit it after decorating or just leave it off?

I've never seen a "radiator clamp".
Leave it off unless you need to heat the room.

[quoWill the whole system have to be drained to fit the new radiator?
[/QUOTE]

Normally yes, unless the valves are in the same place.

If the weather is not going to suddenly turn cold I'd turn the heating off, drain the system and remove the radiator. Otherwise turn off the valves, drain the radiator and remove, leaving the valves in place. If one valve is a TRV make sure it is completely off, not on some "frost" setting which might open. Use a decorator's cap for the valve if you have it.

When you come to fit the new radiator you'll need to drain the system anyway, unless you are going to freeze the pipes. Once you've drained it, don't forget to add a litre of inhibitor.

Presumably the pipes for the existing radiator come up out of the floor.

If the new towel rail has vertical inlets, you'll need to modify the pipes. If you can, get the pipes shortened under the floor and bring one up in a new position 30mm nearer what will be the centre of the radiator. If doing it above the floor, , probably on one side only as there won't be space in 30mm to do both sides and make it symmetrical. street elbows might do it (look up BES plumbing to see what I mean), but will need to be soldered.

If the new towel rail has side inlets (like an ordinary radiator), you can get a 30mm radiator valve extension (e.g. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65...roduct=65625&gclid=CNrIo4TMp9MCFe0Q0wodusEGyQ ) which should do nicely, ro one 15mm one each side which would look better.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I think I will remove the rad and get someone to fit the towel rad as I have never soldered anything and wouldn't want to take any risks where water is concerned lol. Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back