Want to replace Passage locks - Internal Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm a newbie to the forum - and DIY in general really. Bought a house in August and have decided to try and do some of the more minor jobs myself, but it's not as straightforward as I thought it might be !

I'm trying to replace the passage knobs and locks on all the internal doors, as they are about 40 years old !
I would like to replace them with standard mortice locks and latches and modern handles but can't get a rose base big enough to cover the 56mm gaping hole in the door left by the passage locks. Aside from replacing the whole door, does anyone have any ideas how I might go about this relatively easily?

Thanks
Liz

Sponsored Links
picture please.

I think you mean American type knobsets, as sometimes used on hotel bedrooms.

You could fit fingerplates, which will cover the old hole, and fit a modern tubular latch slightly higher or lower than the plate. Mortice locks and latches require accurate chisel work, or a router.

Picture of the removed set of handles and the hole in the door.

I see what you are saying about carving out wood for a replacement latch fitting. Might just leave that to the local handyman !

IMAG1195.jpg IMAG1196.jpg

look up "tubular mortice latch"

very easy to fit

You can still get those knobsets, if you happen to like them.

Sponsored Links
Thank you John.. :)

I do not like them .. looking for something a bit more modern !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back