Want to tile my kitchen floor - currently vinyl on hardboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, the floor is currently vinyl tiles which were put on top of hardboard.

Is it ok just to tile over those with ceramic tiles or should I pull up the vinyl ones?

It's only about 2.5m squared if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whats under the hardboard? Floorboards or screed/concrete.

Either way I would pull the vinyl & hardboard up.

The subfloor will determine what you do to prepare the floor for tiling.

Jason

Wooden floorboards under the vinyl. They are a little uneven so I'm assuming that's why the hardboard was put down.

If the kitchen is already fitted you may have problems :cry:

You will need to make sure the existing boards are firmly screwed to the joists then overlay them with a minimum of 15mm WBP ply screwed at 200mm cts then tile onto this with flexible adhesives and grouts.

OR

Take up the floorboards and replace with a minimum of 18mm ply preferably 22-25mm then tile onto this.

First option will raise the floor height which may cause problems with any appliances under worktops. Second option may be a problem if ext'g units are sitting on the floor.

It is usual to lay hardboard under vinyl so the joints in the floorboards don't telegraph through over time.

Jason

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is already fitted - one thing they did do though was make it so I could raise e plinths at the bottom of the cabinets so I didn't have to tile up to them to make it neater, also means I have 20mm+ to play with there.

Such a small kitchen causing so many problems, it's only 1.5 x 2.5m!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back