Want to upgrade sky but dont want phone line running around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been with Sky for the last umpteen years , Now I want to upgrade to Sky + etc etc , However they are telling me that when I upgrade I must have the phone line plugged into the sky box and the fixed socket in my house , I try to explain that I have already done this umpteen years ago and I am not the type of person who uses PPV and now my house is decorated I can't have it plugged into the phoneline as wires will be running all over the place , Is there any kind of wireless device that I can plug into the back of the Sky + box that uses RF to send a signal to a spare BT socket I have in the conservatory ?

And as a bonus question can Sjy really test to see if the phone line is plugged in ?

Sponsored Links
Google something like "wireless phone extension" or "wireless phone jacks" and you'll find plenty of solutions priced around £40 to £60.

If you want something cheaper then you'll be looking at running an extension kit. There are some that use flat ribbon cable which is a bit easier to hide under skirting and carpets than the conventional round BT phone cable.

The Sky boxes do poll out (call) late at night every now and again with status updates. The normal answer for someone like you is to connect a temporary extension every now and then so the box can communicate. That's normally enough to keep the box happy.

Is this your primary box or an additonal box (multiroom)?

If it's just the primary, get a cheap extension lead and let the "engineer" plug in to that to do his installation checks. When he's gone unplug it and put the cable away somewhere. If you use all the PPV credit on the box you'll need to connect to a phone line so they can bill you and "refill" the box credit. If you don't use PPV then its fine, you shouldn't have any problems.

If however this is an additional box using multiroom, you will need to have the phone line connected all the time, so Sky know the box is still in your posession and you're not re-selling the discounted subscription to someone else.

Check with them about this.

What your saying sounds like they are instigating a new 12 month contract.
Something you may not be happy getting into.

As sky+ should cost no more then al you need is new equipment, new LNB & cabling.
While you may be able to get a new box via Freegle/Freecycle the dish/cabling is another matter.

Maplins do the wireless phone extenders, stand firm & insist that you do not want a wired connection or a new contract.

Sponsored Links
i have recently gone on to sky hd as a friend of a friend is a fitter for them and i got it at half price for 12 months. he told me that they check after 6 months to see if it is still connected to a phone line by doing a ring back to your box. i have not got a phone line connected to mine,he told me when they do this ringback they will call you when they detect there is no line there and ask you to check the cable has not come out of the back. he said just connect an extension cable to it and tell them it had come out. no need for messy wires :D

When I signed up to normal Sky a couple of years ago, I paid £20 so I did not have to have a phone line fitted...

i have had my digibox disconnected from the phone line for 3 years, no letters or calls from sky and the box still functions as normal
id go with the temporary extension lead option

When I signed up to normal Sky a couple of years ago, I paid £20 so I did not have to have a phone line fitted...

My brother in law doesn't have a landline in his house and he simply had to pay the £20 extra for installation of his Sky+.

It's not a problem at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back