Wanted electrical back box with the cable cut-out in centre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first posting please be kind :)

I have a tv ariel cable sticking out of the wall, the cable comes in from the external wall. The cable is at the correct height and position. If i use a standard back box; the cut outs are not in the centre, so the box will be offset - and therefore the faceplate will be offset and not aligned to the rest of the plugs sockets etc.

Question ::

Does anyone sell a steel back box with the push out holes in the centre ?, all the boxes i see have the cable holes in the top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right.

Sponsored Links
I thought about drilling a hole in the steel back box - but this seemed overkill for a one-off job.

Was hoping i would just be able to buy a box for a couple of quid.

Most are 4 holes or no holes

Could you not just carefully chase out more behind so the cable goes on a slight angle to reach the hole.
Then plaster it in

A grommet should also be used

Sponsored Links
I thought about doing this.. and so far it looks like my only option..

Just worried i may have to bend the cable too much as the angle will be quite steep given the distance of centre to hole

I guess no one supplies a box with a central hole to pop out.

Its only coax why not knock all 4 out And then cut centre out totally
File it down so no sharp edges should be ok

But given that you don't need to use either cone cutters or hole saws etc to enlarge the fixing hole in the middle of the box to a size big enough to take coax - an ordinary twist drill will do, where's the overkill in that?

Or use an existing KO - the angle won't be too sharp if you use a 47mm box...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back