Back box cable entry position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m new to electrics!

I’ve made the attached channel to carry AV cables from a wall-mounted TV to a unit below, to be finished using brush face plates. I was expecting to put standard back boxes in, but all the ones I can find have a left and right hole rather than a central one.

Can I get a back box with a central hole? And are there also boxes with a larger/wider hole? My conduit is large enough to fit a power cable and several HDMI cables, but I don’t think a standard back box hole would fit the connectors through.

Any ideas? Or can I do it without a back box?

Attachments

• 4E4A8F3C-017D-4CDD-A740-3C0A907D9880.jpeg
    4E4A8F3C-017D-4CDD-A740-3C0A907D9880.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
Cut the back box?
Two channels - separate one for power might be better anyway.

How are you going to exit the HDMI cables through the faceplates?

Yes I think cutting between the holes would work. What cutting tool could I use for that? Or drill out to remove the material?

You’re right, two runs would be better. But it’s a short run and I only need standard HD bandwidth for now, so I’m not too concerned about interference.

I was going to use a pair of those brush plates for entry/exit of the cables. Plan is they’ll both be hidden anyway.

Yes I think cutting between the holes would work. What cutting tool could I use for that? Or drill out to remove the material?
Dremel or pad saw.

I was going to use a pair of those brush plates for entry/exit of the cables. Plan is they’ll both be hidden anyway.
Ok, but I have four HDMIs plus Ethernet, Optical, RCA and Coax on mine.

Sponsored Links
Cut a slot from the front of the box into both holes. Then you can fit the cables without having to feed the cable ends through the 20mm hole. don’t forget to fit a grommet to shield the cables. You can just cut the grommet too.

Simples

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back