Cooker outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a standard cavity back box in for the cooker connection. I bought a volex connector and plate but notice the screw holes on the face plate are lower than central, where screw holes for back box are, is this the wrong type of back box?

Attachments

• 14829238627051581282965.jpg
    14829238627051581282965.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
Looks like part of it is upside down.
But as an obvious point, your sheath needs to go inside the enclosure, and be gripped by the cord grip. How you've done it is not compliant as the inner insulation is hanging out.
Also I really don't understand why you have 2 earths, 2 different lines and 2 naturals coming from what looks like one cable?

Been a while since i bought it but i remembered it had 2 sets of screws so could wire it, then fit the connector to back box, then just fit the face plate as in pic attached as now finished, cable sorted out as well. I dont know wht 2 wires for each cable but this was the hob. The screw plate was upside down as i changed it but changed it back again

Attachments

• 1482926158623-794610862.jpg
    1482926158623-794610862.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133
Many hobs are supplied with a 6 core flex like that to allow different wiring configurations, 2 phases etc. in different countries.

Sponsored Links
Maybe they just needed thicker flex than they could get in the factory so they just doubled up:rolleyes:
Glad you're sorted, enjoy cooking!

Many hobs are supplied with a 6 core flex like that to allow different wiring configurations, 2 phases etc. in different countries.
I thought that at first but that didn't explain the 2 earths! Or neutrals for that matter. Maybe it's 2 half size Hobbs in one enclosure...

Some come with a 5 core flex with one earth, I guess it is easier to double up cores than make a flex with several different sized cores.

Maybe they just needed thicker flex than they could get in the factory so they just doubled up:rolleyes:
Glad you're sorted, enjoy cooking!

We used to do that with contactors in fridges supplied to Tesco. Split the load across two of the contacts. Obviously, they don't make contact at exactly the same time, and over time break down. Needless to say, they had a fire in one of the stores and lost the contract and then liquidated. When I raised the question, I was told by R&D it was down to cost. Another worker told me it's the 'norm' and I didn't know what I was on about...

I put a standard cavity back box in for the cooker connection. I bought a volex connector and plate but notice the screw holes on the face plate are lower than central, where screw holes for back box are, is this the wrong type of back box?
They are normally like this:

You can see the fixing screws for the back-box and the holes further down for the face plate.
AA45COP.JPG

Your bracket seems to be upside down.
Does it come of to be able to put it on the other way up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back