wanting to fit a new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody please tell me what the highest kw shower i can have with a 30amp fuse mem consumer board or will this take a higher amp fuse thanks

Sponsored Links
can anybody please tell me what the highest kw shower i can have with a 30amp fuse
230 x 30 = ??
. . . 1000

But if you don't even know the relationship between volts, amps and kW then no way should you be installing a shower yourself - you should get an electrician.

mem consumer board or will this take a higher amp fuse thanks
It might, but probably won't.

Almost certainly the cable won't.

And it does all need uprating, as 7.2kW will be a feeble shower.

Changing fuse/MCB ratings and installing new cables is also an electrician's job.

In England & Wales, all of this work is notifiable too....

You can have up to a 7 kW shower on that fuse. But what determines the max load is actually the cable. You probably have a cable rated for 30A at least. If your cable is big enough, you could have a bigger shower. You also have to take into consideration how the cable is routed to the shower.

As a guide, you could consider looking at 7kW showers, but you really need to have the circuit looked at by an electrcian to know how high you can go.

thanks for advice sparky defo doing this wouldnt even think about it only considering because diverser valve gone on combi boiler and will have to wait 3 weeks for part so will only use as back up really as use mixer on taps usually would 7kw give a hot shower thanks for replying

Sponsored Links
It will give a hot shower at a very pitiful flow rate.

This time of year, at a reasonable flow rate it'll give a tepid shower.

At no time of year will it ever give a hot shower at a good flow rate.

You need to be looking at around 10.5kW.

My 9.8KW shower gives a very hot supply with a good flow even in the recent cold snap.

but if your water supply is low pressure then 7kw will be fine. At my old house the water pressure was not the best but the 7 kw shower was to hot on full power!

However in my new house i have over 2 bar at the tap. Fitted a 10.5 kw shower and it could not heat the water fast enough. I ended up putting a good combi boiler in and using that instead. But this time of year i have to reduce the supply pressure to get the thing to heat fast enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back