War Machine

Sponsored Links
Ukraine is attacking oil refineries in Russia using drones…those big tanks are easy targets.
Not very environmentally friendly though.
All that black smoke and oil contamination.

Kyiv (AP)Russia is accumulating large forces around Chasiv Yar in eastern Ukraine as it seeks to make a breakthrough in the Donetsk region, a Ukrainian official said Friday. Illia Yevlash, spokesperson for the operational group overseeing the eastern front line, told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty that Russian forces were concentrating efforts to make a powerful push on the key strategic city to the west of Bakhmut, which fell to Moscow last May, hoping to to advance toward Kostiantynivka, Kramatorsk and Sloviansk.

It's safe to assume all that financial aid from the EU and US will take time to convert into weapons and ammo, so they'd better get a shuffle on before the Ruskies run riot through the center of the Ukrainian line. And get a grip on the sale of those munitions on the Black Market.

Ukrainian drones fly without ammunition. Russian artillery unleash deadly volleys from safe positions beyond the range of Kyiv’s troops. Shortages of ammo and supplies are resulting in lost ground to Moscow, U.S. congressional leaders warn, yet the Republican-controlled House has shown little hurry to resupply Ukraine with military aid. Across Washington, officials are viewing the drop-off in ammunition shipments with increasing alarm. It’s now been over two months since the U.S last sent military supplies to Ukraine.

Some are warning that if Congress fails to provide the aid, U.S. troops will next be called on to help defend NATO allies. Schumer said that during his trip to Ukraine, “One leading American said to me if we don’t get the aid, Russian tanks could be at the Polish border by December.”

Associated Press

While Republican House cat, Mike Johnson, follows the orders of Trump to play hardball over the aid package, demanding more money goes to border protection, Ukraine runs the risk of losing ground retaken in last years counter-offensive. Maybe the Orange Oaf is a Russian agent...:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Ukrainian drones fly without ammunition.
Aren't they using the ones which knock tanks out any more?

So, how long before Putin has troops on the borders of Poland, Slovakia, Hungary (Orban will let him in) and Romania? I'll say 2 years.

I was reading that whilst Russia has moved to a war economy, in the West we are constrained at the moment by concerns such as planning permission.

So, how long before Putin has troops on the borders of Poland, Slovakia, Hungary (Orban will let him in) and Romania? I'll say 2 years.
You think that will happen?

Oban - pass. He's an instance where the EU needs to consider a country's political arena before they let them in. Nothing to do with him and Russia more him and his opposition.

Coming to a battlefield near you tomorrow...

..the Jackal.
Edward Fox is available for test flights.

Looks rather large and expensive compared with what I have in mind.
Not the hardest to target. Of course there will be anti-drone drones, and anti anti drone drones.
It would only take something which can carry a few shotgun cartridges and fly very fast with optical guidance, to wreck it. The guidance is trivial - I was programming a 15 yr old Canon compact to recognise simple shapes. Now childs play for an Arduino for 5 quid.. Petrol model plane will do 300 mph, for a while. Cost - maybe 1% of the the Jackal's?
I think it'll become a numbers game. Nobody's likely to have many of those Jackals.

Flyby Technology – a UK-based developer of unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) – has scored a launch order for its armed Jackal drone, with a 160-unit commitment from Taiwan. Jon Parker, founder and chief executive of the company, speaking to FlightGlobal from the DSEI show in London on 14 September, said the vertical take-off and landing Jackal is “just right for Taiwan” as it can operate across multiple domains, including maritime.

Flight Global.com

The EU should be interested in developing their armed forces with this kind of tech. A recent report warns their combined armed forces would require at least a decade to upgrade their weapons stockpile and the combined chiefs-of-staff are nervous of Russia not waiting that long for them to catch up as they increase production of their own.
India has increased its order for Russian oil and China is helping them avoid sanctions....speaking of - can a country secretly fund their economy through Bitcoin? The share price spiked at $66,000 yesterday, a new record, and the last time that happened was November 2021, shortly before the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I wondered if it were possible for Russia to circumvent western sanctions through money transfer via the Dark Web.

European Union officials have unveiled plans to boost the bloc’s defence sector as it eyes rising threats and the need to increase self-reliance. Under the proposed European Defence Industrial Strategy, announced by the European Commission on Tuesday, the bloc would boost spending and increase cooperation in procurement. The blueprint is driven both by the need to respond more effectively to Russia’s war in Ukraine and to reduce Europe’s heavy reliance on the United States.
The plan calls for the EU to inject 1.5 billion euros ($1.63bn) into a joint defence industry programme between 2025 and 2027. Member states would also be required to make at least 40 percent of their defence equipment purchases collectively by 2030, and to have the value of intra-EU defence trade represent at least 35 percent of the EU defence market.

Al Jazeera.com

One step closer to a combined European Army?

a decade to upgrade their weapons stockpile
A lot of that relates to shells, bullets and the others that go bang and production rates. Then comes the other consumables such as tanks, aircraft and trucks etc, plus their production rates and how many to have in stock.

Come a war and other things can happen. Take WWII, Rolls could not produce enough merlin engines so production added in the USA. The same engine gets fitted to a cheaper fighter making it a far more useful tool.

I don't think any country permanently maintains a set up that is needed for a situation like this.

Trump has also mentioned countries providing their own boots. More than foot soldiers are needed.

value of intra-EU defence trade represent at least 35 percent of the EU defence market.
Were do you think the other 65% will come from? Currently things like F16 spares production is spread around a little to give them a slice of the action.

LOL Maybe we should rejoin the EU or work out something war related.

Drones - any mobile bit of war kit can be droned. Fuel still leads on range and payload but remote actual control? I wonder. More advances on jamming?

Ten thousand drones are to be sent to Ukraine, the UK has announced. President Zelensky is said to be disappointed. All he wanted was a nuke.

Day 744@Al Jazz

Sponsored Links
Back