warm aircon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 2017 Ford KA+ I bought at the start of the year, my warranty has expired so I need to find out stuff myself before I give it to Ford to charge me lots.

Within the past 2 months it went into Ford to regas it, this will have included removing the gas and forcing a vacuum, then testing after 30 mins to check for leaks (according to the saleroom owner).

It is now blowing warm or normal air and not cold.
It has been suggested that as the compressor is spinning, that it must have the correct amount of gas pressure in or it would not. Also that the heating/cooling system is compartmentalized to pass through hot/cold air on demand and that it may be that it's not passing the cold air.

What and where would/could be wrong with it? is there anything I can do to check/test before I have to give up my firstborn for Ford to have a look?

Sponsored Links
For sure, if the system is low on gas then the compressor doesn’t usually cut in. However, the drive pulley is of course, rotating.
When looking at the compressor, engine running, get someone to switch the A/C off and on and see if you can see and hear the compressor clutch engaging.
Of course, the heater dial should be set on maximum cold, and the fan must be running so check with the fan on full.
John :)

we did that, the clutch is engaging.
Dials set correctly.

This might sound silly but did they use the correct gas in it when it was regassed? I bought a regas kit for our 2008 Golf (R134), worked well and I had plenty left that I thought I may use on our Audi. I found out though that the Audi has a different gas (R1234) which had to be used by law on all 2017 cars onwards. The latter is much more expensive. I wonder whether they used the cheaper gas in your system and perhaps it’s not compatible?

Sponsored Links
This is supposed to be R134 also as the year of manufacture is 2016, registration was 2017

This is supposed to be R134 also as the year of manufacture is 2016, registration was 2017
i think the rules were that it applied to cars registered on or after 1st Jan 2017. There should be a sticker under the bonnet telling you which gas it has been charged with.

It was regassed by Ford, I Think they should know what gas was in it. :)

The compressor will still turn if it is a bit low on refrigerant. There is a sensor to cut power to the compressor if it drops below a certain level. Is there definitely no cooling whatsoever, or is it just not cooling very well?

Under the conditions Burnerman describes, (engine, idling, aircon on, cabin fan on full, cabin temperature set to coldest setting), pop the bonnet and feel the two aluminium refrigerant pipes. One should be hot to the touch, the other should be very cold. In fact, on a humid day, it should have a bit of condensation on it.

Sponsored Links
Back