Warmflow burner and pump not working. Controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warmflow 70/90 boiler with a Hortsmann 626 programmer, approx 12 years old.
Worked fine and was firing when programmed to, but boiler did not fire up for the evening program. No lockout or trip lights on. Controller set to “heat all day”, metered power into the controller but no power coming out of the controller to the burner or pump. Can someone confirm a faulty controller or have I missed something?
Hard to find a replacement controller, one I did find was over £120! Is there a simple solution as all I need is the heating/hot water to come on twice a day, 7 days a week.

Sponsored Links
Change for a different make of controller. Most will have an adaption chart detailing the wiring changes.

How have you proved the lack of power? Have you used a multimeter at wiring centre?

OilHead, thanks didn’t know about the adaption chart, that might be the way to go if I can find one that fits the hole or can be adapted.

Awowen. Used a meter to show 250v going in but nothing coming out regardless of settings, display is working showing days/times etc.

Sponsored Links
Turn off power at fused spur and remove programmer, test live supply to ensure that the programmer is isolated.

Place a link between the permanent live and heating on terminals.

Turn power back on and make sure outside controls are calling for heat. If it now fires you have proved the programmer to be at fault.

In the past Paddy I've just fitted a remote programmer near the boiler & run a bit of heat resistant flex between the new programmer & boiler. Simple enough wiring too.
Most standard programmers €30ish will do the job...... ;)

OP would be better off proving that the programmer is at fault first as he does not state where he has tested for voltage out. He states that there is no power to burner or pump but this could also be due to a faulty stat or 2/3 port valve.

OP would be better off proving that the programmer is at fault first as he does not state where he has tested for voltage out. He states that there is no power to burner or pump but this could also be due to a faulty stat or 2/3 port valve.

A valid point, but our Celtic chum has stated there's no power coming out of the controller. So one must assume he's checked that my good fellow.

The way I read it he states there is no power out of the controller to the burner or pump. That leads me to believe he hasn't tested the wiring centre only burner and pump. Depending on his system there are controls before both of those.

Maybe the OP could elaborate more so we could take the assumption out of it.

The way I read it he states there is no power out of the controller to the burner or pump. That leads me to believe he hasn't tested the wiring centre only burner and pump. Depending on his system there are controls before both of those.

Maybe the OP could elaborate more so we could take the assumption out of it.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. We do need to establish that also.
However, we do also need to know what external controls the OP has.

Thanks for all the help lads. Not being familiar with the inner workings of the controller I metered 250v going in but no volts coming out of the controller even though the controller was set to fire up the boiler.

It is a very basic heating system with TRV’s and temp controlled by the boiler thermostat. After I figured out the wiring, I have removed the controller and linked the live feed that fed the controller to the pump and a second link to the terminal that feeds the thermostat to burner and cut out/trip. I now realise the controller is only acting as a time switch so I’m running the power cable off a timer switch until I get a replacement controller or timer. Boiler is now up and running and controlling as before.

That's great, at least you're up and running now.

Please let us know the outcome so as to help others once you've replaced the programmer.

That's great, at least you're up and running now.

Please let us know the outcome so as to help others once you've replaced the programmer.

Mods, edit if inappropriate.

Update; Went surfing for a solution and found this guy, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Po...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4add72e8ad
Posted it Monday and received it back today, Sat. Considering distances and cross border countries, it couldn’t have been quicker or better. Refitted it lunchtime and all is well.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back