"Warning Notice" from "Boiler Engineer"

If this is the case Namsag is correct , my understanding is that a shuttered socket ( one with aswitch on) only isolates the live feed to appliance not the neutral ??? if the switch is used , as opposed to pulling the plug out ???

Correct, if the plugs polarity is revered then the neutral will be live and just switching it off will still leave the appliance live.

A double pole fused spur is best method despite agiles take on it, as a double pole isolator disconnects completely.

Regardless of method of isolation basic dead tests should still be carried out before sticking fingers in boilers. Some boilers may have 2 sources of power, some kestons do

Sponsored Links
I agree that the hardwired spur is the correct way to install a boiler.

However, for repairs, which is what I mostly do, I cannot assume that the spur is correctly connected so I still have to test at the boiler.

When there is a plug then I just pull that out and if no other wires to the boiler then I dont have to test it at that stage.

I feel far safer with a plug.

The recommendation that its in an unswitched socket is probably more to do with guarding against inadvertent switching off rather than any danger during servicing as any experienced engineer would always remove the plug.

Tony

I've been a sparks for nearly 40 years and there is not a snowballs chance in hell of me ever relying on a double pole switched spur to isolate a supply and then working on an appliance without double checking first, despite what the regs say, when it comes to boilers, give me a plug every time. Apart from the fact that the contact gap is pretty miniscule anyway, how else would I know if the spur it had been fitted correctly in the first place or if the double pole switch was still working.

I've been a sparks for nearly 40 years and there is not a snowballs chance in hell of me ever relying on a double pole switched spur to isolate a supply and then working on an appliance without double checking first,

The idea is to take the fuse out , then check. .;)

Sponsored Links
In my opinion it does not matter as long as it can be safely isolated from the supply, but I personally prefer a fused spur. In the unlikely event that there are 2 live supplies to the appliance, a dangling plug would make it very easy to shock yourself as the pins would be live!

Bottom feeder, thankyou. If you know anything you always test, test and test. Have had up to 2 supplys into boilers, so dangerous,,,,never be complacent. Fused spur always prefferred.

The contact gap in the switch of a fused spur is approx 3mm [ 1/8 th in old money] and maybe less in a cheap one, so in the not uncommon event of the spur being connected incorrectly, with the positive in the N term and the neutral in the L term, regardless of the fuse being removed and the switch in the off position, anybody working on the boiler is approx 3mm away from being fitted for a wooden overcoat. As for the live plug pins scenario, you've been watching too many Midsomer Murders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back