Warped afterUnibond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 metre length of beechwood 1 cm thick 5cm across. I waxed it ok and then tried to use Unibond No More Nails to fix it to some emulsioned beech plywood.

It twisted and warped within minutes and after 30 minutes I could simply pull them apart with the board now also bowed from top to bottom and useless.

I know some instant adhensives warn not to attempt to glue to emulsion but this was not on this product and why would that warp the wood ?

Is it the wood, the unibond or me ?

I still need to find some more wood to fix to the emulsioned ply wall so what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks I have screwed all the ply panels to the wall and this thin panel was to divide a painted section from a waxed section. I thought gluing it would show the grain and divide far better. Instead......

I will look for some more wood and screw it to the existing ply.

Thanks for stopping me making the same mistake again.

Is that no more nails solvent free? Waxing will cause adhesion problems - cabinet makers use wax paper or waxed worktops on their assembly tables to stop glue sticking to them - you can remedy this by wiping the surface to be glued down with Isopropyl alcohol or some odourless white spirit but the twisting/warping sounds like it's caused by water content in the adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. I does seem to be a reaction be a between the glue and the wax. I scrapped off all the glue, laid the board on the floor under some hardboard and got everyone to walk all over it for the evening while it dried out

By morning I had a flat board again which I could tack to the plywood, countersink and fill. Much better all round as I have a clean board easy to remove with no visible signs of support.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back