4x4 post for exterior structural column that won't warp or bend

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the U.S. I need to replace an exterior porch corner post/column. The column I am replacing is on a first floor porch which has another porch above it and the second floor porch has a roof over that porch. The house is 100 years old and the existing post/column is made from four 1x6 boards nailed together to form a hollow column. I would like to put a solid 4x4 wood post inside the hollow column.
Many 4x4 posts that I have used for fencing have warp, bowed and twisted badly over time. Is there a special wood or material that I can use for this post that will not warp, bow, twist, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Kiln dried oak. Though I would replace all with a 6x6 oak post for real strength.My own property has 12" x 12" oak posts, supports a low clay tiled roof, I'm guessing your roof is much lighter

Thanks, I will see if I can find any lumber yards that sell hardwood posts in my area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back