connect beam to 4x4 post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
i am about to build a small pitched roof timber structure. It has 4x4 posts and is only 3x3. What is the best way to connect the beams on the corners?

I know I could notch 6x6 but those posts were too big for my needs. I am attaching 2x6 as the beam. I was reading that simply bolting it created a sheer weight issue.

I can't notch a 4x4 as i dont think it would leave enough wood behind (unless I am wrong).

Is there a suitable connecting tie?

ANy suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
I've done similar using m16 threaded bar, can't see that snapping. But use screws/nails first to check it all lines up square before you start drilling holes.

Try and add some sort of diagonal bracing/strapping

Thanks I've never used that before. I assume this would be ok with the appropriate nut?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-bzp-steel-threaded-rods-m16-x-1000mm-5-pack/69529 The only issue is the post is 100cm x 100 cm so that wouldn't be long enough (assuming it goes through one end to the other?

I was planning on diagonal bracing from the post and use coach bolts at the top because the beam will be proud of the post dimensions (if that makes sense).

Large coach bolts are much more expensive than studding

(You can order it in cut lengths if you want)

I like to use C-form washers to prevent sinking.

Stainless here as coastal.

Sponsored Links
I built a pergola lean-too using studding.
A beam on the house
Two posts in the ground.
I fixed two timbers, running between the posts, one on each side.
Drilled right through, length of studding, nuts and washers on each side

I normally use square plate washers, they are about 2" square, you can usually get them in m12 or m16.

Most nut & bolts shops do threaded rod in 1m or 2m lengths, and I put a bit of paint on the cut ends to prevent rust.

all sorts off ways

toothed dogs and fixings

across the top and across the top at right angles

a 12mm locating rebate and fixing

butt and fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back