Glueing cedar to external wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create some bogus half-timbering on the outside of a 60s ground-floor extension. Mock Tudor. Wood, then render between.

The wall is hard concrete block with sound cement render, masonry painted.

I plan to use cedar because it's stable - not likely to warp and won't rot. About 5x0.75".

To avoid a lot of fixings and plugs, I'd like to glue it in place. I've never used anything like No More Nails, but I believe such adhesives can be used to attach wood to the wall. I presume the wood should be primed on the back and the wall Unibonded.

What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
TBH I think I'd prefer a mechanical fixing to the wall - such thin timber will probably move a lot as it gets wet, dries out, heats up and cools down.

There are flexible adhesives which can handle this, but that isn't standard construction adhesive like No More Nails

Sponsored Links
Should have mentioned... this is at ground floor level. So fixings/plugs would be very visible, otherwise yes I'd counterbore, fix, and plug.
I wonder if Arbo have an adhesive. Flexible is a good point. I'll ask them.

Fixings over glue... sorry, the spring in some planks can pull the plank away from the glue.

Mock Tudor cladding has mock fixings all over it. Because real Tudor cladding has visible fixings all over it.
Well one would think so.
But the joints in the timber frame of our 1620 cottage mostly have no pegs in them, or if they do the pegs are only on the internal face.
Our previous house - 1921 - was mock Tudor, they were fixed with clouts knocked into the lime mortar. No holes to drill, no counterbore no plugs no visible fixings at least not visible from the ground.

I do agree though that gluing to the wall seems dodgy. Not something I've ever done, even indoors.

Got in touch with Adshead Ratcliffe who make Arbo products.
They recommend their Arbomeric MP20 with their 2650 primer.
Temporary link to data sheet here file:///C:/Users/Duarte/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/D4Q27LYG/Arbomeric%20MP20.pdf

I've used their products in the past and found them very good. I used their Arbo 1081 + 2650 for face-bedding some sealed units in 1981, and thirty years later the sealant and the units were still perfect.
Can be ordered direct or perhaps through a merchant.

Now I need some quarter-sawn cedar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back