Warped Oak Worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had oak worktops fitted in the kitchen some of which ae over integrated appliances ie. fridge,freezer and washer. Unfortunately the tops are now warping after only a few weeks - Is this due to poor oak or unsesasoned wood or generally poor product finish. The installation team are at a loss and so is my patience?
Any clues??

Sponsored Links
Did they oil the undersides of teh worktops at least twice before fitting.

Have they fitted heat/moisture deflectors above the appliances.

Jason

Oils are not very vapour impermable and would still let the timber dry. The timber is probably just warmer around those areas, it is likely one side is drying faster than the other, and this causes uneaven moisture contents, and so can cause warping.

It's possible the timber had to high a moisture content to start with, but also finishing the underside of the worktop with a vapour impermeable finish could have helped.

when you install wooden worktops over dishwashers fridges you must install a moisture barrier otherwise splitting and warping will occur usually the care instructions will tell you this and as already said you must oil both sides of worktop just check there is a barrier there if not i would call installers back

Sponsored Links
forgot to say make sure worktops are fixed with slotted angle brackets or oversize holes with washers if they are just fixed with normal brackets or screwwed through clearence hole worktop cannot expand and contract and that will cause warping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back