Warped - Solid maple floor on underlay

if there is a fully clear gap around all edges with no pinch points it wont happen
are the door frames undercut to allow expansion
is there any pipes coming out off the floor and do they have an expantion gap all the way round 15mm pipe 35mm hole ??

Sponsored Links
Cheers Big-All, I'll check the pipes (I think they're ok, but haven't checked specifically).

There is only 1 set of doors that would require an undercut (the double doors into the study) and I've checked those, and slid some paper into the gap to make sure its clear. I can see the expansion gap is still there as well now I've removed the skirting.

Thanks for the sanity check on this - its damn useful! :D

another thought
if dampness is the problem then try accurately measuring the width off the planks in the mountain range and in a remote area away from the possible problem area

OK, the reason I wasn't sure about the pipes is that there are no pipes coming out of the floor! :D Doh...

All the planks are 8cm (or more accurately 80mm on a ruler that will measure 1/2mm) both in the mountain range, and well away from it. The spare plank from the garage is also 80mm.

As the builders are coming tomorrow, and as I've done as much as I can at the moment, I'll try removing the hearth slabs from the floor and see if taking out the 2 pinchpoints has helped, or if the floor tents again....

Pfft, if the worst comes to the worst, I'm guessing that they're going to be overlapping the hearth over the floor anyway I guess, so that'll keep the floor down... :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you had damp your board would be slightly bigger by around 5% dependant on moisture levels
is there any chance you have a ridge underneath or even a stray panel pin or 2 that the floor can latch onto ??

Opening up those 2 pinch points, and leaving the slabs on overnight hasn't helped - the floor has risen again, although it does feel looser.

I'll do a check around the room to see if there is anything sticking out. I can't think that there would be anything under the floor to stop it moving :confused: It was fairly level.

I've had a look at the DPM at the expansion gap around the fireplace - it doesn't have any condensation on it (so I'd guess there isn't moisture under it), and its completely dry both under and over it - thats an observation rather than with a moisture meter or anything.

We've moved / slid some of the big furniture away from the fireplace as obviously that is where the work is taking place, and I hoped that by sliding it, it would pull the floor tight, or at least away from the warped area, but it hasn't budged it at all.

By putting my trainers on and stamping beyond the bulge, I appear to have moved it slightly, but only in one direction I think, but there is clearly movement that can be made in the floor. Its almost like its being pulled into the middle though, rather than pushed into it?

I'm going to take the skirting off in the study now - its the last place there could be a closed expansion gap, but its a room away, and the gap through the door hasn't closed in any way, so I don't think it'll help.

if you see any signs off moisture [condensation] from underneath it is normally so late the floor is a scrapper :D :D

do you ever use more than a moist cloth to clean the floor ??
the floor must never ever get wet any moisture should be wiped up instantly

was there ever anything covering the bulge like a mat or bit off furniture that could hide excessive moisture like a pet or child wetting the area undetected ??

never anything more than a faintly moist cloth - I have been extra careful about not getting the floor wet. Similarly, any spills I've had have been very quickly and thoroughly cleaned up, but I haven't cleaned or spilled anything in months!

There was a rug over the not so bulgy part of the bulge, so theoretically it could have hidden something, although its not something I've noticed or been aware of.

On the assumption that maybe something has spilled and I've not noticed, would the floor shrink and return to normal after it has dried out? Or would it stay expanded, and therefore is my floor likely to be screwed?

I still can't help thinking that all this happened overnight or during the day on Wednesday last week - it was absoultely fine beforehand - and that was the day the hot weather started. It could just be coincidence though, and could have simply triggered something if there was a spillage.

I'm just confused by all this now - sorry big-all (and everyone else!), I don't want to be awkward! :(

it all depends on the exact composition off the floor if it is all solid wood soft or other wood topped with hard wood [laminated ]
or solid wood backed with mdf/ chipboard or other pulverized remanufactured board then it will expand and not shrink back as they compress 3 times the wood content into manufactured boards to give them any strength

Its all solid maple laqured on top - nothing else in it.

Ah well, I guess we'll see what the builders say...!

Thanks for all your help thus far big-all! Much appreciated! :D

Hmm OK, now they're removed the old hearth, I can actually lift the floor where its warped. That means that theoretically, if I remove the skirting from one half of the room, I could lift and stretch the bulge out of it, and out to the expansion gaps at the edge. As long as I do it away from the study (so as not to simply move the bulge through the door and potentially into another room with not a lot of expansion gap left).

Anyone seeing any problems with this? Seems the ideal (and only opportunity!) to try it with the new hearth going down tomorrow....

...and it appears I've had some degree of success!

The bulge is now nothing more than a slight undulation, and that was done mostly through kicking the floor to try to spread it out! I also found the tensioning straps that were used to fit it, so I've pulled it back together. Interestingly, a couple of the expansion gaps at the ends of the room have closed up significantly with all the kicking and pulling, so I think they might need to be chiseled out a bit, but I'll wait until all the building work is complete before I consider it, to see if the wood shrinks a bit.

It still leaves me at a loss as to how this happened (although I did find another hidden pinch point on the right side of the floor this time), and what will stop it happening again.

But, thank you again big-all, your advice has been invaluable! I'll thankyou for all your posts! :D

yes definately let it settle down down before taking drastic action
you can off course nibble 5 to 8mm to give enough clearence for the mountains to subside as this gap will be filled :D :D :D

ooo and by the way this topic has been covered about 40 times before but as i like a challenge i get stuck in :D :cool:

and please please please keep us informed off how it pans out and what solution was found cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back