was casing for boiler edit: advice re new oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of renovating an old property, I have to remove an unsafe external structure where the external boiler (very old! - grant 50-70 Euroflame compact oil boiler) is currently placed. I need to case or box in the boiler and the pipes leading into the house to protect it from the weather as it will, when I remove the structure, be exposed to the weather. It currently stands on a concrete surface which will remain.

I read around the subject but it is a little confusing regarding clearance regulations and suitable materials. I am considering allowing the following clearances. 200mm above, 50mm left and right, 100 mm front and 25mm all round clearance for the flu. I will construct it in such a way that any part of it can be removed for servicing if required. Does this sound about right, or are their definite regulations. I will be selling the property once renovated so I do not want it to come back and bite me! As the boiler is at least 10 years old I have no manual and cannot find one online.

What materials can I use, best to use? is it ok to use combustible materials such as external ply and felt for the slanted roof of the boiler house? or do I need to be looking at other materials. It needs to be weather proof

Would really appreciate experience, thoughts and advice, particularly from those who have done this.

Sponsored Links
HI

avoid highly flammable materials eg wool,wood too close.contact manufacturers they will give exact details.i would think that the distances you are planning is be ok.

Once you have gone to all the trouble of building the casing you may find it cheaper to just replace it with a new Grant Votex outdoor module, casing supplied!

If you are selling the property it would look a lot more compelling to the purchaser. Comes with it's own compact flue too, which will look a lot better than the current unit.

Once you have gone to all the trouble of building the casing you may find it cheaper to just replace it with a new Grant Votex outdoor module, casing supplied!

If you are selling the property it would look a lot more compelling to the purchaser. Comes with it's own compact flue too, which will look a lot better than the current unit.

thanks for the thought, i certainly considered it, but it would be far from cheaper, altho defintely it would look better. less than £100 will box it in. nearer £1000 to replace, including the price of a plumber

Sponsored Links
but any switched on buyer will buy the place with the new heating over yours everytime. you have to spend a little to make a lot.

but any switched on buyer will buy the place with the new heating over yours everytime. you have to spend a little to make a lot.

I agree and I would too........still weighing it up........can u recomend a type of boiler not neceseraily a make and model.....but more criteria to look out for etc......i.e. condensing boiler or not?

I agree and I would too........still weighing it up........can u recomend a type of boiler not neceseraily a make and model.....but more criteria to look out for etc......i.e. condensing boiler or not?

edit subject message as looking for something different now ;)

Grant Vortex outdoor module..................

Or, since they have a 5yr parts and labour warranty deal on at the moment - a Worcester Bosch Greenstar heatslave External.

i dont know anything about oil heating, but on gas a really like the worcester stuff myself

Definitely DON'T go anywhere near a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave. They are a total pain to service.

They are a total pain to service but then the OP is not servicing himself.

Can you name another boiler with a 5yr parts and labour warranty? WB also have the best warranty support/customer care in the business.

Incidentally, WB have recently made some small but significant changes to address the servicing access issue. Details were sent to all accredited installers last month, I assume you are not one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back