external oil combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a new oil boiler fitted and have been given the choice between internal and external. Because going external would free up some space my wife would prefer that option, however, having read of various cold weather problems suffered by combi boilers in general over the last few winters I'm looking for advice as to how the externals cope. In particular in v. cold weather does the anti frost stat permanently trip(thereby using more fuel), is there a greater problem with condensate freezing and is there a noticeable loss in efficiency in general in extreme weather. I've spent the day searching various websites but can't find the answers so hope DIYnot members can help. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is ELECTRICS UK

For advise on this you need someone who knows about boilers. Do you think that might be plumbers?

I've asked the mods to move you somewhere less sensible. Have fun!

Oil combis do not suffer the same problem with condensate runs as gas boilers. In very cold weather the frost stat will cut in, but a pipe stat on the return will minimise running.
A good insulation will minimise pipe runs and make them easily insulated. Just pity the poor service technician who has to attend to it in 2 ft of snow and 15 below.

This is ELECTRICS UK

For advise on this you need someone who knows about boilers. Do you think that might be plumbers?

I've asked the mods to move you somewhere less sensible. Have fun!

Dear Taylortwocities. Re my "External oil combi boiler" query.-I'm so sorry if I inadvertently posted in the wrong forum. I'd been searching for an answer for most of the day on various sites and when I discovered the 'Central Heating' tag thought, mistakenly, that I had found someone to help. By the way I was looking for advice not advise. Enjoy your little 'ELECTRICS UK' empire.

Sponsored Links
Oil combis do not suffer the same problem with condensate runs as gas boilers. In very cold weather the frost stat will cut in, but a pipe stat on the return will minimise running.
A good insulation will minimise pipe runs and make them easily insulated. Just pity the poor service technician who has to attend to it in 2 ft of snow and 15 below.
Thanks for the reply mate, as for the 'poor service technician' he's the one who suggested going for the external in the first place.

Nothing wrong with externals - Go for a GRANT Vortex external
as for servicing in a foot of snow - most engineers would struggle to get to an internal boiler in such conditions!! I have been servicing outdoor boilers since the 1970's without too many problems weather related! ;)

when I discovered the 'Central Heating' tag thought, mistakenly, that I had found someone to help. By the way I was looking for advice not advise. Enjoy your little 'ELECTRICS UK' empire.

I'm not a typist by trade so sry abowt the speling.

I was just trying to make sure you got to the right forum where you would get the appropriate adviCe.
I have done that and it looks like you now have the guidance you asked for.

Do you have any other complaints?

Nothing wrong with externals - Go for a GRANT Vortex external
as for servicing in a foot of snow - most engineers would struggle to get to an internal boiler in such conditions!! I have been servicing outdoor boilers since the 1970's without too many problems weather related! ;)

Thanks a lot gentlemen, that's all I needed to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back