Wash basin installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just prepared for the installation of a wash basin for the bathroom.
The basin has a mixer tap and from the mixer taps i have connected a popup rod for the plug hole and 2 copper pipes. (Hot and Cold feed).

Following instructions it says i can now connect up copper pipes to water supply. However these copper pipes i would say are 10mm whereas water supply pipework is 15mm.

Am i right in saying i need a 15mm to 10mm reducer. Just making certain this is right as i dont want to mess it up. Also will the reduction in size affect the pressure of water coming through a 15mm pipe as obviously alot more water is travelling through only to be held back by a 10mm pipe. Apologies if im being stupid here, just making sure everything is spot on

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be best to solder or thread on a 15mm shut off valve with a 10 mm outlet on it. That would both serve as a reducer and allow you to shut off the water to that tap only without shutting off the water to the whole bathroom.

The 15 mm piping has greater diameter and threrefore flow capacity than the 10 mm pipe. So, when you turn that tap on, the water in the 15 mm pipe simply won't be flowing as quickly as it would if the pipes to the faucet were 15 mm. This is not a problem since it's rarely (if ever) that you open your wash basin faucet full blast.

In my building, where there are 21 apartments all drawing water from the same hot water heater, there is 1 1/2 inch diameter piping coming off the heater going through the crawl space under the lower floor apartments. In the crawl space under each suite, that 1 1/2 inch piping splits into two 1 inch pipes; with one 1 inch pipe going to the kitchen area and one 1 inch hot water pipe going to the bathroom area. In each case (both kitchen and bath), the hot water riser for the bottom suite is a 1 inch pipe with a 1/2 inch copper pipe coming off supplying the kitchens and bathrooms on the bottom level, and then a 3/4 inch hot water pipe going up to the middle floor. That 3/4 inch pipe branches into two 1/2 inch hot water pipes; one supplying the main floor and the other supplying the upper floor. In that way, the one water heater can supply full flow to everyone if everyone decided to have a warm shower at the same time.

And, your bathroom piping can be thought of the same way; the 15 mm pipe going into your bathroom can supply full flow to any two 10 mm pipes at the same time.

Yes 15 to 10 reducer will sort it. There wont be any marked pressure reduction.
Does that mountie with the wolf live in your apartments?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back