bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new mixer tap in my ensuite basin, the connections were 10mm tap tails to 15mm hot & cold connections. I also put in 2 x 15mm service valves, problem is the water flow is now not so good as before.
Can anyone help please :?:

Sponsored Links
You cant get a quart out of a pint pot.

You have reduced the pipe Dia. so you have reduced flow.

Thanks for the reply, I kinda thought that was the problem but just wanted to make sure

Easiest solution - Replace the 10mm tails with flexible tap connection tails , 12mm are available from screwfix.
On reflection this may not work as the screw connection to the tap may not fit, I was assuming they were a universal size but this may not be so.
I replaced my tap tails with flexible hose but took the tails to the plumbers merchants to check i was getting the right screw connection size.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the 10mm tails are screwed in but thanks for advice

Diyisfun said:
You cant get a quart out of a pint pot.

You have reduced the pipe Dia. so you have reduced flow.

Surely you have to take pressure into consideration. I heard of French plumbers pogressively reducing pipe diameter the further the pipe got from the mains, to maintain water-pressure.

First thing is to have a look at what it says on the box - Are the taps designed for the water pressure range you have available?

Taps designed for use on mains pressure systems will give poor performance on a gravity system, as the waterways through the tap body are smaller.

Mains pressure feeds are at whatever pressure the water company sees fit, but usually 2 Bar or more. Gravity systems usually supply about 0.1 to 0.5 Bar depending on the cold water cistern location.

Increasing the diameter of the tails may improve things a bit, but there's no guarantees...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back